Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cancelling my child's health insurance....?

I am a single mom of one son and only have my income to rely on. No child support. I pay $100/mo. for my son's insurance premiums, which I know is not a lot, but if I were to drop his health insurance, I could apply for Peachcare (GA) after 6 months of him being uninsured. I work for the local hospital and they give great assistance to uninsured patients, and they also payroll deduct medical bills in small increments (interest free) so I would not have to pay the entire bill in full. Last year, I paid $1222 in premiums and he only went to Urgent Care once for a bloody nose which totaled $180 before insurance paid! I just need some thoughts about my decision, please. He would only be uninsured for 6 months, so it's not like I'm taking him off for a year or more. Is this a mistake or is it just a gamble?Cancelling my child's health insurance....?Couple of thoughts (I'm a broker here in GA): PeachCare for Kids is a great plan and if you can get him on it you won't be able to do better. On the other hand, you are sorta' gambling that nothing serious (%26amp;, therefore, expensive) will come up. Another alternative would be to get a plan on him that's less costly ($100/month for a son seems high to me). Given the amount of health care he seems to have had (not much), then I suggest a plan with a higher deductible and, therefore, a lower premium. Even with a high deductible, like $2500 or even $5000, he will still be able to go to a network MD and only have to pay a copayment of $30 or $40 for the office visit. (The premium, depending on age, etc. would probably be in the range of $50-75/month.)



If you'd like to see some specific quotes on individual health insurance for him, please visit our website where you can run them yourself (see below).Cancelling my child's health insurance....?I have to agree with the others that going without is a big risk. You should ask Peachcare what happens if he does incur a claim in that six month period--some state medicaid programs have a look back period, so they will cover claims incurred during a break time.



You are the only person who can make this decision. There's no shame in accepting assistance for health care for your children.Cancelling my child's health insurance....?What's the difference between a mistake and a gamble, if he breaks his leg and needs surgery and you have a $75,000 medical bill?



NO WAY would I have my child go uninsured. And for $100 a month, private doctors have a much shorter wait, than welfare doctors.Cancelling my child's health insurance....?
Jo, are you a lucky person? 6 months is a long time in the kid world. Broken arm, or leg, god forbid cancer. Medical debts are the second leading cause of bankruptcy. I'm not a lucky person, i would not take the chance.
  • calculate percentage
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment